1 any small compartment; "the cells of a honeycomb"
2 (biology) the basic structural and functional unit of all organisms; cells may exist as independent units of life (as in monads) or may form colonies or tissues as in higher plants and animals
3 a device that delivers an electric current as the result of a chemical reaction [syn: electric cell]
4 a small unit serving as part of or as the nucleus of a larger political movement [syn: cadre]
5 a hand-held mobile radiotelephone for use in an area divided into small sections (cells), each with its own short-range transmitter/receiver [syn: cellular telephone, cellular phone, cellphone, mobile phone]
6 small room is which a monk or nun lives [syn: cubicle]
- /sɛl/, /sEl/
- A component of an
- This MP3 player runs on 2 AAA cells.
- A room in a prison for containing inmates.
- The combatants spent the night in separate cells.
- A room in a monastery for sleeping one
- Gregor Mendel must have spent a good amount of time outside of his cell.
- A small group of
people forming part of a larger organization.
- Those three fellows are the local cell of that organization.
- A small thunderstorm, caused by
forms ahead of a storm front.
- There is a powerful storm cell headed our way.
- The basic unit of a living organism, surrounded by a
- There is a virtual zoo of single cell organisms living in your mouth.
- An cavity in a structure such as a honeycomb or ovary.
- The bee filled the cell with honey.
- The minimal unit of a cellular
automaton that can change state and has an associated behavior.
- The upper right cell always starts with the color green.
- A short, fixed-length packet as in
asynchronous transfer mode.
- Virtual Channel number 5 received 170 cells.
- A region of radio reception that is a part of a larger radio
- I get good reception in my home because it is near a cell tower.
- In the context of "US|informal}} A cellular phone.
Cell may refer to:
- Cell (EDA), a term used in electronic circuit design schematics
- Cell (microprocessor), a microprocessor architecture developed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM
- Electrochemical cell, a device for extracting electricity from chemical reactions, often used as part of a battery
- An individual production area in cellular manufacturing
- An area of radio coverage in a cellular
- An informal name for a cellular telephone
- A fixed-length packet in a cell relay communication network, such as ATM
cell in Welsh: Cell
cell in Danish: Celle
cell in German: Zelle
cell in Spanish: Célula (desambiguación)
cell in Esperanto: Ĉelo
cell in French: Cellule
cell in Korean: 셀
cell in Italian: Cell
cell in Dutch: Cel
cell in Japanese: セル
cell in Norwegian: Celle (andre betydninger)
cell in Polish: Komórka (ujednoznacznienie)
cell in Portuguese: Célula (desambiguação)
cell in Romanian: Celulă (dezambiguizare)
cell in Russian: Клетка (значения)
cell in Simple English: Cell (disambiguation)
cell in Slovak: Bunka (rozlišovacia stránka)
cell in Serbian: Ћелија
cell in Sundanese: Sél
cell in Finnish: Cell
cell in Swedish: Cell (olika betydelser)
cell in Thai: เซลล์
cell in Ukrainian: Клітина
POW camp, Photronic cell, adytum, animal cell, apartment, ashram, bastille, bioplast, black hole, booth, borstal, borstal institution, box, bridewell, brig, bunch, cabal, cadre, camarilla, cavity, cellular tissue, cellule, chamber, charmed circle, chromatoplasm, circle, clan, clique, cloister, closed circle, coenocyte, compartment, concentration camp, condemned cell, corpuscle, coterie, crew, crib, crowd, crypt, cubicle, cytoplasm, death cell, death house, death row, den, detention camp, ectoplasm, electron-image tube, elite, elite group, enclosed space, endoplasm, energid, eucaryotic cell, federal prison, forced-labor camp, gaol, gas phototube, germ cell, group, guardhouse, hermitage, hideaway, hideout, hiding place, hold, hole, hollow, holy of holies, house of correction, house of detention, industrial school, ingroup, inner circle, internment camp, ivory tower, jail, jailhouse, junta, junto, keep, labor camp, lair, lockup, manger, maximum-security prison, mew, minimum-security prison, mob, multiplier phototube, oubliette, outfit, pen, penal colony, penal institution, penal settlement, penitentiary, pew, photoconductor cell, photomultiplier tube, phototube, photovoltaic cell, plant cell, plasmodium, prison, prison camp, prisonhouse, privacy, procaryotic cell, protoplasm, recess, reform school, reformatory, reticulum, retreat, ring, room, sanctum, sanctum sanctorum, secret place, set, soft phototube, somatic cell, sponging house, stall, state prison, stockade, syncytium, the hole, tollbooth, training school, trophoplasm, vacuum phototube, vault, we-group